About the Opportunity: The Associate Director of Communications and Outreach for the Annenberg Institute for School Reform is a dynamic strategist, content creator, and communicator, responsible for developing and implementing a culturally responsive, accessible communications and outreach strategy that will amplify the Institute’s vision and the impact of its programs across campus, among all stakeholders, and in the broader educational community.
Reporting to the Managing Director, the Associate Director of Communications and Outreach is responsible for creating premium, high-visibility materials for a range of digital and written communications and events for the Institute and ensure documents, PDFs, presentations, website, software, synchronized media, video, audio, and social media meet WCAG 2.0 requirements and accessibility best practices. This position helps to identify news stories, working proactively with faculty, researchers and students in compelling ways through all available media. This position is responsible for website development and maintenance, social media management, video production, and marketing materials (print and digital).
Communications projects will include, but are not limited to, news releases, publicity for all Annenberg-sponsored and co-sponsored events, website and social media content, annual reports, online and print publications and newsletters, and other strategic vehicles intended to demonstrate the institute’s strengths among external audiences. This position supports Annenberg’s mission and helps expand its reputation as a leading institute for education policy to reduce inequality and improve educational opportunities leading to enriched lives for children and youth, ultimately contributing to more just and flourishing societies.
An adept and effective communicator, the Associate Director of Communications and Outreach ensures accuracy and consistency across all communications platforms; places a high priority on understanding issues that impact communication effectiveness across multiple types of media; and works to ensure that Annenberg is able to grow its audiences and constituencies. This position tailors messaging to key audiences across communications platforms to effectively disseminate information about Annenberg; this includes research by faculty with primary appointments in Annenberg, as well as fellows and affiliates; it also includes highlights and accomplishments from undergraduate research fellows, a postdoctoral research program and a variety of robust, high-level research-to-practice partnerships.
The Associate Director of Communications and Outreach is responsible for fostering strong relationships both on and off campus with local and national media, other communications professionals across campus, and external organizations.
The Associate Director of Communications and Outreach is responsible for developing and maintaining a long-term strategy for staffing the communication needs of the unit, including developing and managing a communications team that may include additional professionals and student interns.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree with 7-10 years of professional experience in communications, public relations, journalism or related field, or combination of education and experience.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills, including strong command of accepted writing styles (AP, MLA, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to translate research findings to content suitable for broad and diverse audiences across a variety of media and social media channels in a culturally responsive manner.
- Experience developing and implementing an integrated and accessible communications strategy using principles of effective data visualization that span multiple outlets including print, web, and social media.
- Demonstrated ability and flexibility to multi-task, prioritize, and manage diverse job responsibilities while meeting various deadlines.
- Proficiency with communications applications and tools, including Google Drive, MS Office, Google, Canva, Illustrator, and MailChimp.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop, InDesign, and Premier, and the capacity to manage design vendors.
- Commitment to reciprocal feedback: Proactively seeks, receives, and extends feedback with your peers and leaders.
- Customer Service Orientation: Strives to deeply understand customer needs and design tools and technical assistance to meet those needs. Works to exceed customer expectations.
- Demonstrated ability to support a community of diverse perspectives and cultures in an inclusive environment.
- Knowledge of copyright, image use protocols, and laws governing online posting of intellectual property.
- Knowledge of WCAG 2.0 and ADA Section 508 requirements and accessibility best practices.